The fine living condition and a booming economy attract many thousands of people to migrate to Singapore. A majority of them decide to stay here on a permanent basis. That is when they are looking forward to getting permanent resident status. If you also intend to stay here in the long term, then there are certain things that you need to keep in mind.
Advantages Of Being A PR
As a permanent resident, you are going to enjoy certain perks. For example:
- You will be entitled to work and live in the country for at least five years.
- Your spouse, as well as a family, would also be able to acquire PR status in due course of time. Subsequently, you can also apply for citizenship.
- Your children would get access to public schooling on a high priority basis.
- You will be eligible for availing different retirement fund schemes.
- You can enjoy considerable flexibility to purchase properties in the land.
Categories of Foreigners
A number of providers of legal advice Singapore receive requests for assistance in acquiring PR and citizenship. The constitution of Singapore allows granting PR status to different categories of foreigners. For instance:
- Entrepreneurs and investors under the Global Investor Program or GIP. For the different options of investment viable in the country, it is ideal that you get help from an experienced lawyer.
- Spouse, as well as unmarried children of individuals already acquiring PR status.
- Employment Pass holders under the PTS scheme. It is a scheme for professional and technical personnel, as well as skilled workers.
- Also, under the foreign artistic talent scheme, you can apply for PR status. However, to avail of this scheme, you have to excel and accomplish in some form of art in your home country.
Contacting a legal advice provider in Singapore would help you organize all the documents that you will need to be a citizen. Here are the basic requisitions for anyone wishing to apply for citizenship:
- One needs to be at least 21 years of age.
- You need to be a PR for 2-6 years before applying.
- Your spouse needs to have at least two years of PR status or should be married for two years before the application.
- You should be able to provide the details of your entire stay history.
- There should be references to good contacts and your commitment to abide by the law.